Detailed GB Maps – OS MasterMap
OS MasterMap is the most precise and detailed data set from Great Britain's national mapping agency, Ordnance Survey.
It includes over 450 million features and offers detailed address information, road network data and full topographical details of land area classifications; buildings; roads, tracks and paths; rail; water; terrain and height; heritage and antiquities; structures; and administrative boundaries.
The well-known Ordnance Survey ITN (Integrated Transport Network) is part of MasterMap and can be purchased separately for routing applications.
Data Type: Vector Mapping
Scale: 1:1,250 and 1:2,500 and 1:10 000
Click image to enlarge display
Topography: building outlines, railways, roads, waterways etc.
Integrated Transport Network (ITN): routable road network with route restriction information
Sites Layer: detailed extent of key sites such as hospitals, airports and schools with access points identified
The following data is also available as part of the MasterMap suite (please follow the link):
AddressBase: precise coordinates for residential and commercial GB addresses see separate product
How is it used?
The data is organised in layers or themes and each type of information is very detailed and can be used differently, but some example uses include:
- Planning routes and creating drive time isochrones (see separate speed and navigation data sets to append appropriate speeds to your MasterMap ITN road network)
- Locating and geocoding the users own data
- Creating very detailed location maps
- Identifying entrances to sites
- Creating planning maps
- Detailed backdrop mapping
- Impact assessment and environmental analysis
- Proximity and risk analysis such as flooding and crime
- Property asset management
- Identifying street and feature-level detail useful for site visits and planning applications, for example
- Visualising 3D building heights
- Administrative boundaries
- Heritage and antiquities