GB Place Gazetteer – AA
This gazetteer is a subset of the AA (Automobile Association) 1:200,000 mapping. It includes some 39,000 geocoded places.
- There are 39,900 geocoded named places and points of interest
- The places are categorised by population, but separately allocated to one of seven levels to make it easy to display only the most appropriate places at each zoom level
- This includes Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey but Northern Ireland is excluded
- This provides an Annual licence including updates.
How is it used?
- Navigating around your map
- Locating places of interest
- Adding a sense of place to thematic mapping in your GIS system
- Feature code
- Name and the code for the county in which the point lies together
- Eastings and Northings grid reference
- Lat/long co-ordinates.
- Town category to segment the places into 6 groups from those with a population of over 1 million to those with a population of less than 300,000.
- POI category such as picnic, golf and wild parks.
- Level to indicate at what zoom level it is most appropriate to display particular points to ensure smaller towns are displayed at smaller scales in sparse areas, for example.