1:1 million World Gazetteer – Europa
Global gazetteer of places and points of interest (POIs) including towns, ports and airports together with some additional information such as alternative spellings, IATA codes etc.
- World coverage
- Over 930,000 named places
- Lists of place names in local form and alternative spellings
- Given with their geographic co-ordinates so you can place them on the map
- Includes additional information such as population estimates, country names and ISO codes
How is it used?
- Navigating around your map
- Locating places of interest across the globe
- Can be used for geocoding locations or reverse geocoding in tracking applications
- Places and their geographic coordinates provided to help you add a sense of place
- Unique ID
- Place name in local form and with alternative spellings (English conventional name, second national language, foreign name and long/short form)
- Country name
- Island name (where applicable)
- First level administrative regions
- ISO codes (International Organization for Standardization)
- Population estimates (where available)
- Latitude and longitude co-ordinates.
- Class field which ranks relative size or importance from 1-6 (where 1 represents a country capital)
- Airports include name and three character IATA code
- Ports include UN/LOCODE
- All place names use accented characters where required using a standard ANSI character set or Unicode Latin 1 code page. Other characters are correctly transliterated to their Romanised form.