allmapdata Eases Compliance with the Safer Lorry SchemeSeptember 24th, 2015
On 1 September 2015, the Safer Lorry Scheme came into force, designed to meet the Mayor for London’s ambitions to see the capital’s roads free from deaths and serious injuries. The scheme ensures that only those vehicles fitted with safety equipment will be allowed on London’s roads.
The scheme operates across the city, 24 hours a day, covering the same area as the Low Emission Zone.
Under the scheme, vehicles over 3.5 tonnes that are currently exempt will be required to:
- Be fitted with Class V and Class VI mirrors giving the driver a better view of cyclists and pedestrians around their vehicles
- Be fitted with side guards to protect cyclists from being dragged under the wheels in the event of a collision
The scheme will be enforced by the Metropolitan Police Service, City of London Police and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.
- Drivers found to be in charge of a non-compliant vehicle may be issued with a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice
- The offence also carries a potential fine of £1,000 at Magistrate’s court
- The Traffic Commissioner, who has the power to modify or suspend operator licenses, will also be notified of companies operating vehicles in breach of the scheme
Compliance with the scheme is critical to help prevent cyclist deaths on the capital’s roads. The allmapdata team at Mapmechanics are helping businesses comply with TfL’s Safer Lorry Scheme through better location intelligence. With data supplied by us companies will receive a list of all unit postcodes, e.g. TW8 8JA, that fall within the TfL Safer Lorry Scheme zone. This file can then be appended to an existing customer database in order to tag customers that are affected. By using a code that associates customers’ location with compliant vehicles, the routing and scheduling system can then make sure only those fitted with Class V and Class VI mirrors and side guards will be operating inside the Safer Lorry Scheme Zone.
As a leader in Location Intelligence, allmapdata’s expertise can provide fast and efficient solutions for companies whose activity will be affected by the new regulations. To find out how to minimise the impact on your business, call 020 8568 7000.